Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Battle of Malwa.

(Arkbarabad, Hindustan. Winter 1787) Noel Boone walked the busy streets of Arkibarabad, a sea of humanity swarmed around him in the ancient city. Out of the city proper and through the gate of the central citadel he strode, then made for the officers mess, located in an imposing square tower.

Other East Indian Company officers were laughing, shouting and slapping each other on the back as he entered the mess. Mask walked up to a gathering that were grouped around a table with a map unrolled upon the surface.  Colonel Crenshaw, his commanding officer was among the officers and smiled at Lt. Mask. Crenshaw said "good day Mr. Boone, we have taken Ujjain, Malwa! General Churchills army took it after a well fought battle against the renegade Prince Jayesh Sahai."

Colonel Crenshaw then placed a glass of wine on one of the corners of the map to hold it in place. He pointed at the map of India, indicating the regions the Company now rules, all colored red on the map. "One more large city to go with the Mugal Emperor, but we have the Punjab Kingdom here in north to watch, War has started with that kingdom. A large Punjab army with quality regiments is just west of the border in Maratha Territory few hundred miles from where we are standing. Our 'Allies' the Maratha are raising bloody hell about that.

"We'd march out to meet the Punjab Army, but this city is a powder keg, strikes and unrest. We'd lose it without our Army sitting right on top of it!"


"The Battle of Malwa."  Official Dispatch & Oil Paintings of the Action.

To the right honorable Governor-General Barnabas Bailey,

It is my duty and great pleasure to inform the Governor-General that the Kings India Army concluded a campaign in the State of Malwa. His Majesties Army met and bested the hordes commanded by Prince Jayesh Sahai. The battle took place within a few miles of the city of Ujjain.

Our intelligence officers estimate that the Maratha Rebel Prince had over 7000 soldiers. A mixture of infantry, much cavalry and one battery of cannon. With a force of one third of the enemy, our Army Regiments marched forward and deployed on a rise at the foot of a ridge, within sight of the opposing host.  Infantry and Calvary charged our lines.

Our left flank took the brunt of the charge, but no regiment buckled during repeated hand to hand melees. Of particular courage and fortitude were the officers and men of the 2nd Foot (The Queens Own Regiment). While in squre the regiment received multiple cavalry and infantry charges. Like a rock the 2nd held and broke regiment after regiment of the enemy. Of 300 men that went into battle only 140 survived.

The Royal Artillery batteries continuously fired upon the Prince's force inflicting heavy causalities. The Maratha Rebels morale broke and our cavalry regiments rode down the fleeing host. The city of Ujjain surrendered the next morning. Prince Jayesh Sahai, unfortunately did not survive, his body was discovered on the field of battle. We facilitated a 'State Funeral' for his highness.

His Majesties Army is occupying the State of Malwa under military law until which time I recieve further instruction and can hand over governance to the Honorable East India Company. Further letters detailing casualities, matters of logistics and recommendations for political administration are included for your consideration.

Your Humble Servant,

General John Churchill

Infantry of the Kings Army deployed in line just as the Battle of Malwa is starting. In the foreground can be seen the Scot Guards and to the left of the Scots can be seen the red coats of the 33rd Foot Regiment (The Dukes). In the distance can be seen the skyline of the city of Ujjain, ruled by a breakaway Maratha Prince.

The opening shots of the Battle of Malwa, Enemy infantry comes under heavy bombardment. Three Royal Artillery batteries served well through out the battle. Due to the geography of the battlefield the cannon were on a ridge top, having great command of the field. The enemy rarely was out of range or line of sight.

The 2nd Foot (The Queen's Own Regiment) melees with enemy infantry at the Battle of Malwa. After being in square to hold against Calvary attacks the Queen's Regiment deployed back to line formation then charged with bayonets into Rebel Maratha infantry. The foe broke and ran.

1 comment:

  1. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to
    be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries
    that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon
    the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side
    effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage estate agency affairs board